Monday, November 1, 2010

Babsy and Jan: The Dearly Departed

Hi.

Busy week for love.


Babsy

A lady I like and admire.  Wasn’t ever going to be a destination lady, but thought we’d enjoy a few miles along the way together.  Never happened.

Now she’s in love.
And I’m glad.
Well, for her and her man.

Kinda feeling sorry for her friends.
OK.  Me too.


We had a date planned.  April Fool’s Day.  Seriously.  There’s going to be a piano concert April 1, 2011.  Heavenly music: Bach’s Goldberg Variations.

How heavenly?  Remember in The Day the Earth Stood Still (with Keanu) when Klatu went to the physicist’s home?  (Yes, I also thought casting John Cleese was goofy, but that’s not the point.)  Klatu thought the music was wonderful. 

Yup.  The Goldbergs.


So a month or so ago, I invited Babsy to go to the concert with me.  Surprise!  She accepted my invite.  Alas, it is/was not to be.

Not that Babsy was to be.
She’s WAY younger than I am. 
Smarter. 
Prettier too.

[What was that movie where the lady-star said she couldn’t go out with someone too good looking because people would think she won him in a raffle?]

She earns more in one hour nursing on a Sunday than I do in a week, probably.

But so what?  It wasn’t about a retirement plan.  Just a couple of hours with a pal enjoying some of Klatu’s favorite tunes.

*dang*

Love can be such a pain.
:~)

**


Jan


I refuse to define Jan as a kind woman ignominiously dumped by a dork, although that happened.

Jan is a woman who picked herself up after the knockout blow.  Gathered her wits and a few bucks and headed to Europe!

You go, girl!


**

Now I gotta tell you that one of my wives celebrated at Red Lobster with one of my daughters an hour after our divorce proceedings ended.  Always felt that was an insult that transcended the acrimony of our unrelationship.

If athletes get fined for being too joyous after celebrating a touchdown, that’s one thing.  But to celebrate the end of a marriage that was once dedicated to God (and I thought *of* God) is hideous and an affront to whatever sanctity there is to marriage – beyond the vapid words of people like me.

**


Got a few notes from Jan as she pedaled her way across several countries, through her misery and exited into Life Beyond Loss.

You go, girl.


She worked as a fancy kitchen helper, if my memory serves me.  (In other words, don’t count on accuracy.)

Healing allies helped her alleviate her hurts.
Friends comforted her.
And she was worth all the effort.

Jan is a gentle soul.
Brilliant, skilled, apt, kind.
And WAY smart.

Had to laugh the day she told me how the *other* people she worked with were so smart.  So, how’d you get there, silly?  They needed you.  Because you’re as smart as they are/were.


Jan’s back in the States.  Ascended gracefully in the Deep South.
Artistically assisting artists attend to their arts.
And, I believe, loving it.

So, along comes one of those “In a Relationship” Facebook posts.

Made.  Me.  Happy!


**

Had I exercised similar wisdom, I would’ve gone to Spain, Italy, Switzerland, Germany and Kauai.  Alas, I didn’t.

Too dead.  But I’m rejuvenating.

**


Reminds me of the time I ordered a PT Cruiser when they first came out.  I’d just married My Favorite Wife.  Had a bunch of money.

The car came in. 
Had my name printed on the window sticker. 
Took it for a test drive. 
Hardly had enough power to merge onto the freeway, let alone pass anyone.

Decided to be conservative. 
Invested the money instead.

Lost.  Every.  Damn.  Dime.

What a dope.

**

I admire Jan.  Good show, dear!  Good show.


Checked out her beau’s info on FB. 

Happy stuff popped out at first glance:
International studies
Bunch of degrees/schooling
Loves to cook
Not a bad looking dude

And Jan’s friends think he’s nice … and good for her.

Thank you, God.


Doesn’t that give you a smattering of hope?

Here’s a lady worthy of love and adoration, like Babsy.
Traveled the world.
Washed ashore in (hello?) Deepest, Darkest Alabama.

And connected with a man whom we all hope will be a worthy companion and caretaker of a precious soul we adore.

**


Mollification and Reparation


A friend in Hawaii told me about a party where attractive (in any of a hundred ways) couples met together for a few beers, laughs, pu-pu platters and conversation.

The hook?  You could not get in without a date.  And you could not get in if you were actually dating anyone. 

Cool idea.


Now, I suppose our minds could descend to the depths of thinking this was going to turn into an illicit sweatfest, but it seems to me to be a great way to meet “free” people.

[Lemme know if you wanna have such a party.  My house?]


Anyway.

I think Babsy and Jan owe The Unloved Masses they abandoned for mere love a goodbye party.  Not some slobbering bash where The Loveless weep and moan and covet the love of others.

More like a joyous wake.  Friends would be divvied up … and introduced to other people who aren’t gonna spend as much time with The Dearly Departed anymore.  A time for us to hook up with new people.  [Please remember: I am old.  I can still use phrases like “hook up” without lurid connotations.]


Former movie-going dumpees could meet other newly dumped movie goers.  They might even become movie-going pals themselves!

Same thing with Lunch on Decks friends, GNO pals, Help Me Finish Off This Wine buddies or even the ultimate friends: People Who Will Listen (and Not Judge) When You Shoot Your Mouth Off and Empty Your Heart Out.

**

Back when the Earth was warm and I was in college, I remember one of my (Business) profs speak about how one corporation would not promote anyone of any significance unless the company had three able replacements to choose from.  Ain’t got nobody to take your place?  You’re stuck where you are.

Brilliant, really.  Sure does away with people not wanting to have anybody else know what they do for a living and how they do it.

**

The Dearly Departed owe this same obligation to us, in my ever-so-humble opinion.

I think The Unloved should be offered suitable replacements from which to choose before The Dearly Departed can formalize lovers and independently, callously post on Facebook that they are In a Relationship.


For example, my previously scheduled date with Babsy is only 120 days away.

Hardly enough time to find anyone else who enjoys Bach (and me) enough to spend an evening IN PUBLIC with me.

sheesh

I mean, I should get double-indemnity or something.  Babsy should be responsible to find me a suitable date – or two!

Why is that suddenly MY job?  When I call in sick at work, I have to find somebody to cover my appointments, right? 

I knew you’d see it my way.  Thanks.


[I would press this point, but Babsy’s favorite TV program is Snapped! and she has lots of friends who would help her hide my body, even without soliciting the aid of any of my former wives.]


Well, that’s it.
I feel better now.

But I really can’t waste any more time blogging.
I’ve got to get busy.

I’m almost down to 119 days to find a woman who doesn’t think The Goldberg Variations are the Yiddish version of The Kama Sutra.

No comments:

Post a Comment