Monday, September 27, 2010

The Bishop and The Accusors

Hi.

Don’t wanna make a huge deal about my thoughts here.

Just my opinions.  Trying to keep history and hurts out of it altogether.


Watched “Bishop” Eddie Long on TV yesterday.  Only because Channel 2 in Atlanta carried his sermon as part of its Sunday morning newscast.

Long has been publicly accused in lawsuits by four men (so far) of using his position of authority to abuse them sexually.  (My definition.)


As a newshound, I have read much of the men’s accounts.

As a former professional christian, I read their accusations with the same fear/zeal that racecar (yes, I know … it’s spelled the same forwards and backwards) fans feel when they attend races hoping to witness death-defying, horrendous car wrecks.


I have lost track of the men I used to admire who have succumbed to sexual sin.

One former co-worker in christian radio had a sex-change operation.
One former co-worker in christian radio fathered a child, with his young cousin.

I visited a church in Clermont, GA during the Christmas season years ago.  A young girl’s happy little musical hair bow was inadvertently activated during the service.  The pastor just glared at her – as if her head were spinning in some kind of Tourette-like spasm – until the gizmo chimed its inspirational tune.  Creep.  Wasn’t many months later that the pastor ran off with another’s man wife.  (Yes, from his church.)

A book on guarding our hearts and ordering our steps gave me much to ponder years ago, as I tried to dedicate my hours and days to serving God.  Yes, the author was screwing around with his secretary.  Nice guy.  Met him several times.  Corresponded.  Too bad.  Some things cannot be unscrewed; secretaries especially.

A guy I used to work for told me he had years of experience in christian radio but he refused – adamantly – to tell me where.  He finally said he worked for Bob George, who was caught “ministering to prostitutes” with a bit too much vigor, if you catch my drift.


I enjoyed Mike Trout’s company – both before and after he fell while co-hosting Dr. Dobson’s Focus on the Family.  Nice guy.  Screwed up.  Finally regretted it.  At a private dinner one evening, Mike asked me to pray that he wouldn’t make the same mistake with his second wife, a nice lady.  Oh, the fourth person at the table with us was my third wife, a nice lady.


You know of other celebrated occasions when pastors have gone to The Dark Side, no doubt.  If not, I dare you to google the words “pastor arrested.”  Do it sitting down.


But I digress ….


I’d like you to try an experiment.


Select one person (friend, foe or stranger). 

Walk up to him/her and say [choose one]:

1)   You lied!
2)  You stole my [insert item here]!
3)  You cheated at [insert game/exam here]!
4)  I know you want to [insert sin here] but I’m not going to let you!
5)  How dare do try that with my [insert relation here], you [insert insult here]!


Listen to what happens next.

My guess is they’ll either laugh, get fighting mad or both.  You can be sure they won’t consult a lawyer and get back to you later in the week.

It won’t be long before you’ll be insulted.  Quickly after that, you’ll probably hear The Accused angrily deny the spurious charges.  Vehemently. 
Violently.

Try it.  See for yourself.


Then, read a transcript of what BEL said during his church service.

Made himself out to be the victim.  Said he wasn’t perfect.  Gave a tremendous sermon on how to handle adversity (honest).  One of the best messages on the topic I’ve ever heard (honest).

There are two types of people who make great speakers: con men and mostly honest people with “a gift of gab,” as a friendly old Brit used to say.  Messages must be evaluated on content, not delivery.


This is America.  In fact, BEL is innocent until proven guilty.  And he doesn’t have to prove his innocence to me personally.  In that sense, I am not his judge.


All I know is when people are wrongly accused, they deny the charges. 
Clearly. 
Quickly.
Angrily. 
Passionately.


BEL didn’t even come close to that during his TV appearance – one dedicated to the express purpose of addressing the charges.

BEL portrayed himself to be David against Goliath.  (Interesting identity to choose to defend yourself on sex charges: an adulterer and murderer.)


Anyway.


After reading the testimony of several witnesses, and hearing The Accused not deny the charges, I formed and expressed my opinion that he probably did something along the lines of what he’s accused of doing.


My judgement might be wrong.  (Maybe, but I doubt it.)


But guilt isn’t determined by public opinion or multitudes of accusers.  (Can you say, “Jesus”?)


To insist, however, that it’s wrong to develop an opinion based on the express testimony of the accused and the accusers – as compared to hearsay and rumor – is ridiculous.  That’s the basis of Judeo-Christian jurisprudence.


“Loyalty and truth preserve the king,” said Solomon; not mere loyalty.
Loyalty alone kept Hitler in power.
Loyalty alone propagates and abets pedophiles disguised as priests.


Much loyalty was displayed as/after BEL spoke his shallow undenial.


Sorry, but I’m not impressed.  I’ve seen lots of good people duped by remaining too loyal to outlaws and bandits of one ilk or another.


I will pay attention to the evidence presented by BEL and his accusers, with regret for the train-wrecked lives involved.  Resolution is not always pretty.   But this (situation?) must be resolved.

What will happen?

The Bible says, “The truth will set you free.”

Or send you to jail.  (I said that.)

No comments:

Post a Comment