Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Why?

Hi.

Saw a friend as I was leaving a restaurant.  JW's one of the managers of a local radio station and a great on-air professional.

There's another guy on his station who has a talk-show.  Nice man.  Means well.  Wonderful wife.  New at radio.  Trying hard.  Not especially gifted.

Mentioned to my friend how the talk-show guy (TSG) is struggling, imho.

I have a lot of opinions on most things, but I spent many years on-air and managing stations too -- especially in trying to develop talent -- and I wanted to offer some positive suggestions.

Nothing I had not already said personally and politely to TSG. 

JW is a humble guy.  Sweet as can be.  You'd like him.  Pretty soon he was writing on a napkin some of the stuff I was saying about TSG.

That gave me two quick thoughts.  1)  I should have charged him for my consultation.  2)  I hoped my suggestions were worthy of remembrance.

When all was said and done, JW thanked me (as I said, he's humble) and told me he'd share some of my thoughts with TSG -- but he'd keep my opinions anonymous.

Told JW that I'd already spoken with TSG and that he didn't have to protect my identity.

Then I said something that wasn't true.

Told JW I strive to be open and honest.  Said I always expect to be quoted and that I didn't mind him sharing my thoughts with TSG or mentioning my name.

It's not that I lied or was trying to be deceptive ... just that what I said isn't true.

For years I've written blogs that I tried to keep private.  I only shared them with a few dozen friends ... and everyone on the Internet.  But I kept my postings free from easily pegging my identity.

Never wrote lies.  Never tried to harm anyone.  Never tried to cause trouble.  But I presented my fervent opinions on lots of topics and about lots of people.  (Some of whom are scurvy, venomous dogs, btw.)

Anyway, that got me to thinking about being more open and honest with what I write and who I share it with.

***

Probably a month ago, a friend in radio asked if I'd write a couple of postings for his public blog.  CF and I have collaborated on a bunch of nifty projects -- the most fun and fascinating gigs *ever.* 

CF is a true friend and a man I admire.  He's a charter member of my Great Guy and Great Man Hall of Fame.

Anyway.  CF asked me to write on the topic of (ready?) prayer.

hahahahaha

I figured the only subjects I could do worse on would be Successful Investing, Humility: And How I Attained It or How to Have a Happy Wife.

CF was serious.  He wanted me to be (ready?) open and honest.

So, I popped him a couple blogs.  He posted one on Sunday, September 19th.

I was open and honest.  And nowhere near as reverent as his usual guests, no doubt.  But that was the deal.  He wanted me to write from my heart.  In public.

Amazing.

Brave man.

Told him I hoped he didn't get too much flak.  And that I'd understand if he asked me to defend myself, instead of him wasting much time doing so.

Told him I'd take responsibility for my words.

He posted my thoughts.  Even gave me attribution.  AND he called me his friend.

God bless him.

Another impetus to write less-than-anonymously. 

Hence this new blog: Openness and Honesty.

My guess is it'll be a tad more tame than its predecessors, but that's not a bad thing.  Right?

All part of maturity.  Being responsible.

I am going to start that new process.  Right after I ever-so-graciously flame a cosmic creep on September 28th.

Stay tuned.


Robear

1 comment: