Thursday, July 7, 2011

Isaac James

Isaac James

Two weeks ago today, Isaac James arrived to bless his waiting family.

I cannot express how thankful I am to God and my family to be there for the event.  (No, I wasn't there for *everything.*  You understand.) 

On the way to the hospital, I called my friends at my local radio station (MLRS) with a simple request.  First time I've EVER asked them for anything, so I felt within my rights to go for a biggie.

Yup.  Asked them to clear a couple of roads (I-985, I-85, I-285 through Atlanta and up I-75) of all cars during morning rush hour, so that I wouldn't be late for Isaac's arrival.

In spite of the pitiful failure of MLRS, I made it on time.  Yes, I got lost within a few miles of the hospital.  Worked out perfectly anyway (thank you, God).  Saw a Burger King.  Stopped.  Bought all the breakfast food they had -- gleefully telling one and all about Isaac being ALMOST here. 

Joyous.

The really cool part was when I asked the lady behind the BK counter if she'd ever heard of the hospital I was trying to find.  Yup.  All I had to do was turn left out of their driveway, go to the first light, turn right and voila!!

Got there in plenty of time.

My [insert something here to praise her for her loving, caring heart -- even though I drive her crazy] daughter and my ex-wife were polite.  We were all dedicated to making Isaac's arrival pleasant.

In an hour or so, Isaac came to be with us.  Ten fingers.  Ten toes.  Everything where it should be.  Everything worked.  And he loved being tightly held by one and all.

Isaac hardly squawked.  Just appeared in the room. 
Like he'd always been with us.

Seriously.  The weirdest thing was I couldn't remember life without him. 

(Not the way a different ex-wife said she couldn't remember life without me.  Before she left.) 

Just that being with Isaac was/is so *normal.*




I know I said it before ... but I want to say it again, please. 
Moments after Isaac was delivered to us, it was like he'd always been with us.

Zero drama.
Zero fussing.
Zero whatever screws up deliveries.

**
We ordered pizza for lunch.  Deciding what toppings to get ... from which pizza place ... was the only decision we had to make.  Even that went well.

**

I love Isaac.  Right now he's 10' from me, sleeping in his swing.  I held him and fed him and gave him to my daughter when he filled his drawers.

(Yes, there are limits to my love -- at least in non-emergencies.)

I do not love Isaac more than my son (in-law) or daughters or other grandchildren.  A better writer could explain to you how weird it is to suddenly have extra love for someone new, without having any less love for anyone else.

Didn't take an act of faith or effort to muster love for Isaac.  It wasn't like we had a new obligation or we resented how much it would cost to feed/house/educate/whatever him.

Just love for a member of the family.  Brand-new to us and as welcome as can be.

Isaac provides another reason to live a good life. 

Babies are evidence that life is isn't just about ourselves. 
We're here for one another.

We exist to meet God and to marvel at His forgiveness, grace and miracles.  Miracles such as Isaac James. 

And miracles like you.

There is room in God's heart -- and in His imperfect family -- for you.

1 comment: